First surveyed in 1873, the town located on Dunmunkle Creek was originally known as Lallat but by 1876 had become known as Rupanyup, Aboriginal word meaning “branch hanging over water”.
The striking central plantation and landscaped area that divides the Wimmera Highway as it passes through the centre of town entices the weary traveller to stop, relax and soak up the atmosphere of this delightful Wimmera Township.
The Rupanyup Railway Station dates from 1890 and the Post Office, the Memorial Hall (a former cinema), the old CBA Bank and the Commercial Hotel all have their own special character. The Anglican Church (1912), Masonic Lodge (1918) and the heritage listed Primary School (1878) are other notable buildings and the paper recycling depot began life as the Morrl Morrl School in 1885 before being relocated to its current site. The local cemetery off Dyer Street also provides an insight into the early history of the district.
Woods’ Farming & Heritage Museum
houses an amazing collection of household
memorabilia, collectables, farm machinery and spectacular clothing display. ‘…so much more than tractors’. Open seven days from 9am to 4pm.
Ph 0427 159 154 for group bookings.
Memorial Park Caravan and Camping,
managed by Rupanyup Lions Club, boasts powered sites, clean amenities block, dump point, free BBQ and picnic facilities. The area is surrounded by native trees and shrubs and includes a children’s playground.
Pets welcome. Ph 0448 782 834.
Jack Emmett Billabong is well stocked with
native fish and makes the precinct a great place to relax with family and friends.
Cust’s Store, a reproduction of Rupanyup’s
first General Store owned by William Cust c1872, now houses Rupanyup Living and their range of gifts, homewares, coffee and locally produced Chick Pea Brownie.
Chainsaw Art Trail by artist John Brady, adds
interest to the numerous walking trails that Rupanyup has to offer.
Jack’s Track provides a beautiful 3km walking loop through local bushland and wetlands. It starts just North of the Silo Art.
Silo Art is located in Gibson Street and was painted in 2017 by then 29 year old Russian street artist Julia Volchkova, featuring youth of our sporting teams.
CFA Mural was created on the former Shire Office building by Juddy Roller street artist Goodie during her time at Rupanyup in 2017, as a mark of respect to all of
our volunteer firefighters.
Rupanyup/Minyip Bendigo Bank was the first
community bank branch in Australia, established in 1998.
The Old Flour Mill in Gibson Street is an early
and rare example of a portable mill of galvanized iron construction and is adjacent to the first reinforced concrete silos built in the southern hemisphere. These were designed by Sir John Monash and erected in 1909.
STAY Accommodation options in Rupanyup