Murtoa Museum Precinct
Murtoa is located in the Wimmera region of western Victoria.
Murtoa & District Historical Society Inc (MDHS) operates the Murtoa Water Tower Museum Precinct. MDHS’s primary function is to collect, display and preserve the history of the Murtoa district.
The Precinct includes:
The old Railway Water Tower (circa 1886) which has four floors of displays, historical artefacts and memorabilia. The Tower houses the famous James Hill Taxidermy collection comprised of over 600 birds, eggs, nests and reptiles (circa 1875 to 1932). The final floor of the Tower reveals the underbelly of the 40,000 gallon iron tank which supplied water for the steam engines.
Concordia Cottage (circa 1890) is the only remaining building of Concordia College, a Lutheran seminary which was established at Murtoa in 1890. The small cottage houses a collection of antique clothing, histories of the first German settlers, War memorabilia, Coromby band history, the last manual telephone exchange board and a comprehensive research room.
Murtoa Railway Station (circa 1878), refurbished by Vic Track in 2018, houses the history of railway and industry in Murtoa featuring railway relics of a bygone era and a model replica of the Murtoa Railway precinct during the steam and diesel era of the 1960’s.
$9 - $9